The install lifecycle is the series of states or statuses a server transitions through when you roll out a release for a build. When you update a build and roll out a new release, the servers using the build go through the install lifecycle. There are six possible states in the install lifecycle: allocated, deallocated, installing, offline, online, and ready, many of which overlap with the server lifecycle.
- A server is in an allocated state when it’s online and allocated.
- A server is in a deallocated state when it’s online and not allocated. This state doesn't appear in the Unity Dashboard.
- A server is in an installing state when it’s applying the release.
- A server is in an offline state when it’s completely shut down.
- A server is in an online state when it’s online but not yet ready to accept allocations.
- A server is in a ready state when it’s online and has marked itself as ready to accept allocations..
Progressive rollout lifecycle
A progressive rollout is a method of deploying a build update where you update servers only when they're empty. If there are any players connected to a server, Game Server Hosting waits for you (or your matchmaker) to deallocate the server. This can happen either by your matchmaker making a deallocation request or the server cleanly shutting down.
If you release an update as a progressive rollout, Game Server Hosting waits for you to deallocate each server before triggering the installation. As a result, the state flow of a server during a progressive rollout is allocated → deallocated → installing → offline → online.
Forced rollout lifecycle
A forced rollout is a method of deploying a build update where you force servers to update even if there are players connected. If players are connected when you start a forced rollout, Game Server Hosting stops the server, breaking the connection with those players.
If you release an update as a forced rollout, Game Server Hosting triggers the installation irrespective of the server’s allocation status. As a result, the state flow of a server during a forced rollout is allocated → installing → offline → online.