Introduction to Remote Config
Remote Config is a cloud service that you can use to tune your game design without deploying new versions of your application. It consists of a set of namespaced Key-Value parameters, and you can optionally define a set of values that override or add to these parameters.
With Remote Config, you can:
- Adapt your game for different types of players.
- Tune your game difficulty curve in near real time.
- Alter graphic quality based on device to optimize performance.
- Roll out new features gradually while monitoring impact.
- Tailor game settings to different regions or other player segments.
- Run Campaign tests to compare features such as colors, styles, and prices.
- Turn on or off seasonal, holiday, or other time-sensitive events.
- Enable or disable features for specific player segments or across the entire user base.
Environments can also be structured to fit your application so that specific Game Overrides and Settings are retrieved and updated only when needed, so Game Overrides and Settings Keys can be reused.
Define Game Overrides that control which players receive what settings updates, and when. Unity manages the delivery and assignment of those settings with minimal impact to performance. No update to your application is necessary.
The service then returns customized settings for each player according to the Game Overrides that apply to them. This allows different players using the same version of your game to have slightly different experiences. It also allows you to understand the impact each experience has on your business.
Remote Config Authoring
Remote Config supports deployment workflows. For more information please see "Remote Config Authoring"
Download the Unity Gaming Services Samples project to see how to implement Remote Config to solve common game development challenges:
Remote Config interfaces
Though you must implement Unity Remote Config in your game code, there are multiple ways to integrate and manage your application with Remote Config:
- Use the Remote Config Package to integrate your Unity Project with Remote Config.
- The Unity Cloud Dashboard provides a web-based interface to manage Remote Config configuration and settings, including updating Environments and Game Overrides and Settings.
- Developers that don't use Unity can access APIs via web endpoints, or REST APIs. REST APIs provide more flexibility and allow you to automate your workflows by using your favorite language and game development engine.
- Deployments are supported for Unity Editor and CLI. Use deployment to configure Remote Config using files instead of the Unity Cloud Dashboard UI. Include these files as part of version control, and minimize Unity Cloud Dashboard context switching.
- Use the Remote Config command line interface (CLI) to manage, test, and deploy Remote Config configuration. The CLI provides a scalable and automatable alternative to the Unity Cloud Dashboard, and can improve your team's workflows and productivity.
You can use REST APIs to update any Environment stored by the service.
Note: To enable this, you must implement Unity Remote Config Runtime in your game code.
The Remote Config package is under active development and subject to changes that may impact the service's stability. If you encounter any issues with Remote Config, or have any questions, please use the support ticket submission form or visit Remote Config Forum.