Game Server Hosting (Multiplay)
Welcome to Game Server Hosting, Unity's scalable server hosting platform.
Typically, a game developer or studio has expertise in areas directly related to game creation, such as gameplay, animation, and level design. However, successfully managing the hosting and scaling of multiplayer games can be challenging, and time pressures to ship your game. These obstacles can make multiplayer games challenging to implement, especially if you don't have enough servers to meet the player demands. Refer to the Ecosystem overview and Integrations to learn more.
Game Server Hosting removes the complexity of running and operating infrastructure at scale, so your development team can focus on creating engaging player experiences. It also provides ways for you to:
- Track server health and other analytic data.
- Update servers with zero downtime patching.
- Place players in servers that offers the best experience based on quality of service (QoS) data.
- Containerize your builds using Docker and the Game Server Hosting container registry.
Use the Get started guide to learn how to start leveraging Game Server Hosting in your project.
Also check out the following samples to help you get started:
- BR200 - Battle Royale Multiplayer with Photon Fusion: Unity has teamed up with Photon to create a brand new Battle Royale sample that helps you produce peak performance on Unity’s Game Server Hosting (Multiplay) orchestration platform and Matchmaker. You can find detailed instructions on how to install and use this sample here.
- MatchPlay sample: A simple but efficient integration of Game Server Hosting and Matchmaker in a simple sample.
There are multiple ways to integrate and manage your application with Game Server Hosting:
- The Game Server Hosting SDK for Unity allows you to integrate your Unity project with Game Server Hosting.
- The Game Server Hosting SDK for Unreal allows you to integrate your Unreal project with Game Server Hosting.
- The Unity Dashboard provides a web-based interface to manage Game Server Hosting configuration and settings.
- The Game Server Hosting resource configuration API allows users to quickly and easily manage the configuration of the resources that power their game servers.
- The Game Server Hosting game server lifecycle API provides a mechanism to manage the lifecycle of game servers, allowing them to be allocated to matches and deallocated when no longer needed.